Sunday, August 29, 2010

Blackburn 1-2 Arsenal : Gunners Fight For Win

Sorry lads, this isn't going to be quite as formal as a typical match report.

Today's 2-1 win at Ewood Park was not an easy one. Theo Walcott's early goal was quickly cancelled out by Diouff (urgh, I really dislike that guy. And now there are two of them!!!). Blackburn really stood their ground in the first half, but I thought we did extremely well to keep possession and deprived the home team of goal attempts in the second half. You have to give it to the lads - despite letting one through so early, they didn't crumble and in fact, served up a right riposte in the form of Andriy Arshavin.

I could go on to talk about the match, and highlights, and perhaps even how Pedersen managed to annoy us all with his perpetual towel by the sidelines, but I reckon there are many more sports journalists out there beating me to that. Besides, the only thing I am thinking of post-game is the severity of Robin van Persie's injury. So, a little something different this time.

First up, Cesc Fabregas. No, I will not defend my man's poor performance. I will however, say that the accusations of him having lost his faith and dedication to the team, is a tad unfair. It's true that I can't deny the summer fiasco. However, I think the man who has done so much for the club has a little more pride and honour. Playing without heart really isn't Cesc's style. I say cut Captain Fab some slack because really, he has come back from the World Cup and he hasn't been involved in the last couple of games. Let's not forget that he did thread a few brilliant balls through in the first half. As usual though, those are easy to miss once you focus on the negative.

Yes, I love the man. But I don't think I am being unduly biased here.

Next up, Theo "Wonderboy" Walcott. He's really out to make an impression, isn't he? Four goals in two games. I hope the scoring streak keeps up.
Aside from putting them into the net, Theo's passing and crosses has improved as well. I remember a time when his crosses floated over everything and everyone. Nowadays, young Theo has developed technique that matches his vision. I am so proud of him really and how much he has grown - physically, mentally, and technically as a player. I hope he continues playing like the world class star that he is.
Now back to the topic of skipper-ship. When Cesc gets substituted, the armband goes to Almunia. You all know I love Manny and have spoken up for him on many occasions (and I may of course be very wrong when I say this), but he really doesn't seem like the most influential player out there. If based on the mere merit of possessing unfaltering team spirit, Almunia deserves it. Otherwise, I reckon it should go to someone like Vermaelen or Song. Thomas may not have been the Arsenal that long, but that lad is seriously stalwart. And Alex? I have come to see him as the new "Invisible Wall". Not crazy about the new hair though.
My point is, we need someone who can command and communicate, as well as be an excellent reader of the game. I don't mean that Almunia doesn't fit the part, I am just suggesting that we may well have better options.

We'll dissect the other players another time eh? Till, then - 3 down, 35 more games to go.

The Arsenal!

1 comment:

JayWalk said...

I think his recent threat of walking out if Arsenal were to bring in a new keeper casts doubts on his loyalty as far as captaincy candidacy is concerned.

Then again, you can look at it from another angle where he is so passionate about his job that he cannot share it with another.