Tuesday, July 13, 2010

South Africa 2010 - SPAIN ARE CHAMPIONS!!!

This is definitely a tad late and yes, it's copied from my blog - so bite me. Work and a social life kept me from sharing my utter senseless joy at seeing my Spaniards lift the ultimate footballing prize.

For the first time ever, Spain won the top honors after beating a hardy Holland 1-0 in extra time. I don't think Iniesta will ever forget that moment. I would like to remind everyone at this point that it was my Cesc Fabregas who ignited that magical moment.
I don't even recall when I started supporting Spain or why. I only remember being awed by the individual players in their league clubs and noticing that Spanish players were superbly balanced - form, class and flamboyance, without going OTT. As a female admirer of the sport, I despise being slighted for watching football for the hot men. Well, you know what? Having eye candy ain't half bad. And damn, the Spanish team had the best lookers.

Regrettably, I missed Spain's game against Switzerland because I was on a plane. I ached having to see that dreadful scoreline on the in-flight news channel. Somehow I felt that I had let my lads down because I had missed the game. It's the same way when I miss an Arsenal game.

A few years back, I called Spain the Heartbreakers. They had a team so full of talent but were unable to put their name on anything worthy. Still, I was obsessed with them. I know a few players' birthdays by heart (Cesc, Xabi - same as mine!, Casillas, Puyol etc) and I wanted to take up Spanish.

When they became European champions, I was so elated I think I lived on happiness for a whole month. And two years later, the Spaniards repaid my faith in them thoroughly. The World Cup. My God, my Spain are World Champions! How can I ever put all these emotions down in writing?

Many will say that the Germans or the Dutch deserved the title more. I think no one deserves it less. Everyone in the tournament was playing for the highest glory. I can doubt no player's devotion and desire. At the end of the day though, be it luck or sublime football, Spain came out top. And in my most unbiased opinion, the lads deserved every ounce of that gold.

I am so happy.

One star on the shirt, and many more to come.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, not to dampen your mood, i do hope that Spain become the first country to defend both titles when Euro Championship in Ukraine and Poland in 2012 and World Cup in 2014. So far none of the previous champions able to keep their title.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.